Research Matters (https://www.researchmatters.in/), India's unique research news portal, is calling for passionate science writers to join our team.
As a science communication initiative of Gubbi Labs, Research Matters aims to build a critical 'bridge' between the science that emerges from the institutes and laboratories, and the society that eventually benefits from it. We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who are passionate about science reporting and journalism and wants to be a part of this bridge-building process. If you can write compelling stories in English and other Indian languages, read on and fill in the form below.
Your work will entail communicating technical and scientific material to a popular audience. It can include, but not limited to:
- Reading published scientific papers and writing about them in layperson's language.
- Interacting with scientists and communicating about their work.
- Writing short scientific blurbs on any science-based topic.
- Interviewing scientists, researchers and academicians and writing interview-based stories and profiles based on your interaction.
- Journalistic stories are welcome! If you have a pitch, we can explore that further.
- Translating into or writing an article in one of the Indian languages we support
If you have other creative and innovative ideas on science communication, you are welcome to write to us.
How does it work?
Once we review your application and writing samples, and we are happy with it, we will get back to you on email to take it forward. Your next task would include working on two stories based on research papers and delivering it on time and to our satisfaction. Once you complete them, you will be onboard as a writer. We pay our writers based on their quality, qualifications and experience.
Who makes the cut?
If the above excites you, we are looking for individuals who have
- Basic understanding of and qualification in at least one branch of pure or applied sciences
- Ability to read and understand academic papers
- Ability to work to a deadline and
- Good command over English or any other regional language.
If mediums of communication like infographics, posters, multimedia (audio and video) interests you, and writing is not your forte, you are welcome too.
What is in it for you?
- A handsome remuneration based on the number of articles you may write/translate, which will be discussed once you are onboard as a writer.
- An exposure to a wealth of knowledge across different branches of science.
- An opportunity to join the editorial team in the long run.
The next steps:
Fill this up here: https://forms.gle/aRmrsTZSvKbecF3T6
Note: We will periodically review the applications and reserve the right to accept/decline them. We'll be happy to share the reasons as appropriate.